Tuesday 17 February 2015

1 Cor 7:31 from a technical perspective


Since I'm a technical geek (it's my profession after all) I'm often reflecting on mankind's progress in the technical realm as well as in the social, religious and scientific areas.

I was looking at Mily's phone today and thought to myself that new technical gadgets are always expensive because manufacturers have to get their investments back; this is often years of development without any genuine income during the process.
Back in 1980 you would for example have to pay around £3000 to get a sample of the worlds first portable mobile, it was the Motorola 8000X that the executives and yuppies bought to impress others and to look important. Besides the big price the size of the phone was humongous as well.

Nowadays this technology is so low cost that "normal people" like you and me can buy phones that are more powerful than many computers were back then.
Actually this technology is now so cheap that some people even got several phones; or as in the case with my wife ... we bought a banger for her to use for a couple of months (£15 only).

Times have certainly changed ;)